ِFounded in 1991, the Iranian Sociological Association is a non-profit organization active in the areas of science, research as well as consulting.
In 2009 and 2010, the Association was chosen as an “Outstanding Association” by the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology.
Goals of the Association
- Production and promotion of sociological knowledge
- Compilation and publication of rules and regulations regarding social and methodological norms, as well as scientific ethics for sociologists
- Development of scientific commitment and collective identity among sociologists
- Expansion, enhancement and enrichment of relations among scientific communities
- Making sociology applicable by addressing the fundamental social issues and stimulating discussions around them
- Expansion of scientific dialogue with policy makers, planners and administrative institutions
- Provision of scientific research through offering training services to public and private sectors
- Organization of specialized and scientific conferences at the local, national and international levels
- Implementation of supportive and supervisory policies for researchers and research institutions
- Selection and introduction of outstanding sociological productions
- Setting principles and rules for working in the field of sociology
- Development of social research ethics for sociologists
The Iranian Sociological Association implements its main activities in the field of science and research through the Specialized Committees. Currently, the association has 18 Specialized Committees consisting of experts in relevant fields.
These groups consist of: Applied Sociology, Cultural Studies, Cultural Anthropology, Historical Sociology, Industrial Sociology, Research Methods and Methodology, Rural Sociology, Social Policy, Social Problems, Sociology of Art and Literature, Sociology of Family, Sociology of Health and Medicine, Sociology of Religion, Sociology of Revolution and Social movements, Sociology of Science and Knowledge, Sociology of Sports, Urban Sociology, Women’s studies.
In order to expand its activities, the association has established sub-offices in various provinces.
At present, except the central office located in Tehran, the association has 15 provincial offices in Isfahan, Ilam, Tehran, Khorasan, khoozestan, Zanjan, Fars, Mazandaran, Hamedan, Chaharmahal o Bakhtiari, Kurdestan, Kerman, Gilan, Yazd, East Azarbaijan, and Lorestan.
The Iranian Sociological Association has the following publications:
1. Iranian Journal of Sociology (quarterly)
2. Iranian Journal of Social Studies (quarterly)
3. The Association Newsletter (every two months)
One of the activities of the association is the organization of gatherings and commemoration ceremonies for prominent Iranian professors in relevant fields. Some of which are: two rounds of meetings on the status of social vulnerabilities and issues in Iran, convention to discuss social issues of Iran, native science against global science, exploring theoretical concepts about the Iranian society, commemoration ceremony for Dr. Gholamhossein Sedighi, Dr. Gholamabbas Tavasoli, and four other outstanding translators in the field of social sciences.
In line with its international activities, the association has been a member of the International Sociological Association (ISA) since 2005 and the Association of Asian Social Science Research Councils (AASSREC), and has played an active role in their programs.
There are four membership categories: ‘full member’, ‘affiliate member”, student, honorary memberships.
Full members: faculty members of social sciences in universities and national academic institutions, and holders of master’s degrees and higher can become full members by providing the names of two other full members as their references.
Affiliate members: holders of bachelor degrees in social sciences and those holding bachelor degrees in any field with at least five years of work experience in social science- relevant fields can become affiliate members.
Student members: students of social sciences in their third and fourth year can become a member through “student’s membership”.
Honorary members: According to the Iranian Sociological Association Constitution, board members can appoint honorary members.
Members of the Association receive the journals and the newsletter of the Association for free and are updated about the latest news and activities of the Association by email.
Central office: First Floor – Social Sciences Department of University of Tehran – Adjacent to Ghisha Bridge – Jalal Al-Ahamad Highway – Tehran
Tel: 88004742 – 88631891 Fax: 88004742